Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forum problems

BobBob
edited January 1970 in Announcements
One of our members, one of the best photographers I know, hasn't posted on the forum for a very long time. I contacted the member recently to try to get a return to the forum and was told that, as nobody ever commented or gave CC there was no point.<br />    <br />I have just realised what was meant by that.  It does seem a bit futile posting photographs on here.  I posted some photographs recently and, after 25 views, there is not one comment.  Not sure I'm going to bother again either.

Comments

• Think I might who you mean, and if it is the person I am thinking off, they are a great photographer, plus it is a shame not a lot of comments go on the photos now.
  • I always try to comment on photos but I know what you mean as many of mine right from the start never got comments so I just deleted them. I value cc as it makes me think about how I would take the shot again and if I can I will go back and try again. I can think of a couple who have just vanished off the site and both were excellent photographers. I wish that they would come back and just see if they get comments. Not all of us are on other sites or have flickr accounts to display photos. Just recently I started adding photos onto google+ as a friend who used to be on FUJI emailed me and said that they never see any of my photos now unless I attach the odd one or two when I email with news.
  • I'm probably as guilty as any for not commenting that much. The trouble is that I am uncomfortable at giving CC and I don't really want to always say 'Nice photo' to everything. Maybe we should always make at least one CC for every photo we comment on even if it is excellent. If everybody did this, I wouldn't feel so guilty!<br /><br />I would also like to see some form of thumbnail gallery on the Home page so uploaded photos can be spotted more easily but I know that Chris has had his hands full for the last couple of years and doesn't really have the time to make any changes to this (free to us) site.
  • Bob I think I'm as guilty as most for not commenting on posted photos.<br />Couldn't Chris or someone create a scrolling type gallery of recently added shot across the top of the page?<br />This may generate more interest and comments. <br />I must admit when I log on I look at the forum maybe add a few words but rarely look at the gallery.<br /><br />(Looks like we posted the same time Jonathan with the same views)
  • Comments on the old Fuji site were great I learnt a lot by being told my shots were crap.<br />We don't have to like every shot and should say why.
  • From now on when I look at a photo, I will comment on it, but a part of me would feel bad if I said something like, no don`t like the colour or placing ( Even though it can help )  Since I joined this site I think it is the comments that have really helped me in my photography, plus I would NEVER think I am better than anyone else, as we all look at a shot in a different way. 
  • on 1467542536:
    <br />From now on when I look at a photo, I will comment on it, but a part of me would feel bad if I said something like, no don`t like the colour or placing ( Even though it can help )<br />
    <br /><br /><br />Wouldn't bother me if somebody said something bad because all tastes are different.
  • As a non photographer I don't feel qualified to offer critique. Just saying 'wow' or 'nice pic' is hardly constructive criticism. TBH in recent times I just keep a daily eye out for potential spam and offer up the occasional joke. <br />"So what the heck are you doing on a photography forum?" I hear you comment. Well, I'm still here because I was a member when the forum was in black & white and comments were made with a chisel on stone slabs circa 2000 :) Oh! and I've just remembered, it wasn't a photography forum. <br />Altho' we now seem to be small in number, the quality your photos are excellent IMO and it's still nice to see some familiar faces pop in and say 'How do.' occasionally.
  • See the "NEWS" bit at the top. Changes are coming in the next 3-4 days. I've been testing and altering a test forum, to make sure everything works. So hopefully, there will be some vast improvements in the forum structure, and how it has been performing  O0
  • Nice one Chris, thanks for the heads up and looking forward to seeing the changes  O0
  • Thanks Chris
  • Any chance of a scrolling gallery Chris to keep the comments coming?<br />
  • working on a few different things to do with gallery etc at the moment. Just sussing out which works best, and which puts less time on to page loading times etc. O0
  • Thanks Chris.<br /><br />As David said, some kind of home page preview of uploaded photos would be good. The gallery section here is not used much because it's too much of an effort to take a look at recent photos that have been posted and a lot get missed.<br /><br />I see you have just posted about this but I'll leave the above comment anyway.
  • Because of the low number of entries in the monthly competition, it is hard to comment without giving away which your entry is (or isn't), particularly at the beginning. I don't see a way round this, without losing the anonymity that is otherwise desirable.<br />I too am all for comments or suggestions, good or bad - they stop you being sloppy, for a start!
  • I have also little a bit disheartened about the last of comments on posts recently on the forum. I post as much of mine as I can and even images that have scored 20's is competitions receive little or no feedback. I remember when I joined the forum back in 2011 and for those who were not part of it then is was a hive of activity and hopefully will be again some day.
  • I think the site will pick up and get better, like Bob said a while ago, it is what the members make of it, plus even when Chris said if you Google photography chat, this site comes up more than any other  :)
  • We really need more members. Many of the original people seemed to abandon ship when we joined.  :(<br /><br />It's difficult for a small number to keep commenting on photos.
  • I even put up a post on the FB group saying this is a great site.
  • I agree we need more members and need to get back some good honest CC for up and coming photographers where we all learn and help each other. That is the backbone of the forum IMO.
  • That's what we need! Put you worse photos on, and maybe somebody will see what went wrong. Or at least another way of looking at it!
  • I didn't say put your worst on George. I have learned so much from [member=671]Bob[/member] over the years. Members should put there images up for cc. I am all for people putting images up for help as I do but thought has to go into them rather than just snaps.
  • on 1467573626:
    <br />That's what we need! Put you worse photos on, and maybe somebody will see what went wrong. Or at least another way of looking at it!<br />
    <br />George, I've seen you put some stupid comments on here in the past but this one wins hands down.
  • on 1467573626:
    <br />That's what we need! Put you worse photos on, and maybe somebody will see what went wrong. Or at least another way of looking at it!<br />
      ??? ???
  • Well that tells me everything I need to know.  Some of us has a passion for photography amd want to learn and improve.
  • on 1467575804:
    <br />Well that tells me everything I need to know.  Some of us has a passion for photography amd want to learn and improve.<br />
      Well I want to learn more and know I will here  O0
  • As will I David.
  • I want to learn and improve also
  • This is the place to do it folks.
  • I think that since I joined here, my photography has got better as I am getting more keepers.