Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forum problems

Comments

• Yep, guilty as charged. I've posted images for cc before but usually ask for it as well. I'm sometimes loath to give cc if it's not asked for though. Also, I never look in the gallery, only the forum posts. I think that a tidy up of the site and maybe a slight redesign will give everyone a lift and this thread might help in promoting cc. Maybe a CC forum Chris. Let's see what Chris comes up with and maybe some of the old members will come back.
  • I miss some of the members that left, no names mentioned but I got great advice from one for taking photos of Susie.
  • I didn't say put your worst photos on, but worse. By which I meant photos that need improving, not your best photos that you hope to gain praise for.
  • Praise where earned,  cc where needed. 
  • I'm with George and John, let's have more cc. <br /><br />Personally I'd trim the forums down by at least half. We don't have enough members for the number of forums. Do we need 2 competition Forums?  No. Do we need all those different image forums? No, we don't post enough images. We could cut back to maybe half a dozen forums, and build from there.  A lot of members who left did so because they found the site unwieldy to navigate. Now's the time to simplify everything. And let's have a photo in the header, it is a photographic forum after all.<br /><br />Chris, you say you are working on an update. Please get some of the current members, and maybe some of the ex members to have a look. I realise you are working with a template forum but I'm sure you can at least make it look inviting.<br /><br />I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
  • One of the good things about the old Fuji site was the photo put up because there was something not right about it, and people had a go at a different version.<br />Not only were great skills with Photoshop displayed, but judicious cropping could tighten the focus, or lose the setting (according to viewpoint). Quite often, two quite different but acceptable results ensued.<br />Constructive criticism was the name of the game, not just saying "good shot", when in some cases it was anything but! As I said, what we need are less good shots that need improving, and see what suggestions come up for the improval!
  • On the other hand a good shot shows the less experienced what can be done and what to aspire to.
  • I'm looking forward to some inspiring pictures, then!
  • We had one today George.  From Steve.  You haven't been paying attention.<br /><br />http://chat-photography.com/forum/wildlife-animals-and-pet-photography-forums/kingfisher-17880/
  • I have, I saw it, and I agree with your comment on it. So I'll amend my statement to "I'm looking forward to more inspiring pictures, in a variety of categories".
  • I agree far too many forums, I find it hard to know where to post and also where to find previous postings that I want to look back at. I would post much more and put many more photos good, bad and indifferent if they did not have to be resized as have never managed to crack how. I enter monthly comp because I don't have to do that. I want this site to be successful as we amateur snappers need something. I learnt so much from the people on the old Fuji site and made many 'friends' but sadly a lot have disappeared. I do appreciate that whoever runs the site has a difficult job to please us all.
  • My Browser bookmark is set to open at the 'All unread Posts' section which saves hunting around to find any posts/replies I've missed.
  • Well, I've had to delay launching the new files and forum. I've been staying at my sisters the last few week, and her net connection is appalling at best. It would have taken 48 hours to upload the new file system, which now seems to be working on a test install. Once I've got everything ready, the forum will go off line for roughly 2 hours, while I upload everything, and get the modifications added. Once it is stable, it will then be switched over to the new server, which should speed things up significantly. O0 Looking to be fully changed over, and on the new server in the next 7 days ;)
  • Been running pretty well lately Chris.
  • on 1467813101:
    <br />Well, I've had to delay launching the new files and forum. I've been staying at my sisters the last few week, and her net connection is appalling at best. It would have taken 48 hours to upload the new file system, which now seems to be working on a test install. Once I've got everything ready, the forum will go off line for roughly 2 hours, while I upload everything, and get the modifications added. Once it is stable, it will then be switched over to the new server, which should speed things up significantly. O0 Looking to be fully changed over, and on the new server in the next 7 days ;)<br />
    <br /><br />Excellent news Chris. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for all the hard work.
  • on 1467813792:
    <br />Excellent news Chris. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for all the hard work.<br />
      Same here too Chris, the speed is very quick too.
  • Been quick here and can't wait for the modifications. Thanks for all that you do for us
  • There was an issue hidden away, that was causing the server to play up. I managed to resolve that, as it was something on one of my other sites, that was causing it. I'm about 90% sure that I will be returning to PHPBB forum software. This is what I've been running and testing on a mirrored site. Conversion isn't easy, as there are a number of modifications on here that make things complicated. But after a lot of playing about, I seem to have nailed the conversion. On testing PHPBB is a lot lighter on server load, meaning faster page load times, and a quicker forum  O0
  • Sounds good Chris. ;D
  • Thanks Chris
  • Hi Chris, will we still have the Monthly comp and two daily challenges ?
  • PHPBB is a great platform, I used to use it on my old EA Tiger Woods Golf website. Rarely, if ever had a problem with it over 8 years. Looking forward to seeing it Chris.
  • Yeah I've used phpBB on various sites for over 10 years. The new one is very nice as it does away with all the old modification code changes and does it all with one uploaded folder. Much better for adding features and updating.
  • on 1467550084:
    <br />See the "NEWS" bit at the top. Changes are coming in the next 3-4 days. I've been testing and altering a test forum, to make sure everything works. So hopefully, there will be some vast improvements in the forum structure, and how it has been performing  O0<br />
    <br /><br />Thanks Chris, can't wait to what's in store.  :-*<br /><br />I don't post as many photos as other members, even though I'd like to, due to time restraints, but when I do I would like CC's on them as I'm sure they would be a huge help in my becoming a better photographer.  :)<br /><br /><br /><br />
  • on 1467813101:
    <br />Well, I've had to delay launching the new files and forum. I've been staying at my sisters the last few week, and her net connection is appalling at best. It would have taken 48 hours to upload the new file system, which now seems to be working on a test install. Once I've got everything ready, the forum will go off line for roughly 2 hours, while I upload everything, and get the modifications added. Once it is stable, it will then be switched over to the new server, which should speed things up significantly. O0 Looking to be fully changed over, and on the new server in the next 7 days ;)<br />
      Hope all is going well Chris on the switch over  O0  Site is still quick too.
  • on 1467816069:
    <br />There was an issue hidden away, that was causing the server to play up. I managed to resolve that, as it was something on one of my other sites, that was causing it. I'm about 90% sure that I will be returning to PHPBB forum software. This is what I've been running and testing on a mirrored site. Conversion isn't easy, as there are a number of modifications on here that make things complicated. But after a lot of playing about, I seem to have nailed the conversion. On testing PHPBB is a lot lighter on server load, meaning faster page load times, and a quicker forum  O0<br />
      Hope the testing is working out for when it`s all up and running  O0
  • Hi Chris, just wondering hows is going with the switchover.
  • Chris has been having one or two problems with the new software.
  • I'm sure it will all fall into place Bob :)
  • If I know Chris it will. ;D