Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DISASTER.... advice needed

Won't bore you with the details, but because of a fault on my camera, I've managed to format my SD card, thus deleting some photos of a recent trip to the Somme etc.  I immediately put in a new SD card, so I've not overwritten anything.  On checking the internet, there are loads of companies who will try to recover the photos, but it's knowing which one to go with.

So my question is.... has anyone used a company that they can recommend.  Some will let you have a free trial, but with only a limited memory and I'm not sure how much is on my card.

Any advice most welcome.

Comments

• You could try to do it yourself Sheila. I've managed it before but I can't remember what program I used because my operating system is Ubuntu. This one is from a very well known firm and there is a free version. It's for Windows.

You were right not to do anything else with the card. If you have just done a quick format, it doesn't overwrite anything. All it does is remove the 'index' and marks all the space as free.

• @Dipper ;  Thanks Jonathan... that's one of the names that I'd made a note of.  Will check it out. :)
  • edited November 8
    @janga.stud I've just remembered that we have a Windows 10 laptop. I've checked that and Recuva was indeed the program that I used to recover deleted files from a camera card.

We hardly ever use that laptop as Windows is a PITA and it is so slow even though there is virtually nothing on it.
  • @Dipper ;  I'm going to give it a try this afternoon!!  Need to be in a calm state of mind.  Don't know how much data is on the card as I can't remember when I last formatted it.  I know that I must have taken a few hundred shots and at least 2 videos.  [ I took 369 photos in a day and a half with my new SD card ]

So I might go for the £19.95 option, just in case there is too much for the free one to cope with !

Also, if it doesn't work, you get your money back.  I really thought that they were gone forever, so it will be worth it.  Hopefully got some decent shots and videos of the Last Post at the Menin Gate.
    To top all that, I managed to crash my camera against the steps of the tour bus and knocked off the viewfinder.  Didn't notice until the next day, but luckily, the driver had spotted it on the steps and saved it on his dashboard.

Will let you know how I get on.... fingers [and everything else ] crossed.
  • You could try a local reputable computer repairer Sheila ... that`s what I did when my desk top hard drive was stripped by hackers .... He managed to retrieve all the material on it & there were thousands of pictures going back 9 or 10 years , & some before that that I had scanned from slides.
    Hope you manage to get it fixed
  • I've used the free copy of Recuver in the past and it works well.