Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone in herts / Essex

Hi is there anyone in herts /Essex way on here.

We are shooting this weekend at a few places if anyone is interested. Doing a Halloween urbex shoot on Saturday and then a full training day at passion studios on sunday the first one is free. But the training day has to be paid for at a small cost of 50 pound.

Which isn't bad for a full day training in studio with model. Only 5 or 6 going at the min.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

Comments

• Not sure who is near ya Garry, but hope you get a few over for the Saturday.
    We've seen these shoots with the likes of Brian, Mick and Dave etc etc, many times over the years. Although they are OK for entry level, and for the first time you go, after that it's kind of the same old same old. And they end up being more like a pay per view forum meet <!-- s;-) -->;-)<!-- s;-) --> Both me and Jayne did the full days training with Dave a few years back, at the grand cost of £20 (subsidised by college where it was held) <!-- s:mrgreen: -->:mrgreen:<!-- s:mrgreen: -->
    Sadly these have now become private profit making business ventures, with prices increasing substantially, though I doubt Brian is making much at all at £50 a head <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) --> To be honest, without the PFO membership taking up these training weekends/days, they usually fall flat on their ass, and have been cancelled/tutors pulled out in the past. They tend to pop up once enough newbies become active in the forum, and after one or two they get binned, because nobody/very few sign up <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: --> .
  • Yeah don't think brian is makin anything to be honest. Im only going to get a insight on lighting in quite into my strobist shoots not studio tho.

I don't know if you have ever seen my work like that but will have some new work from there.

I tend to like my forum meets for free. Or of we do pay we split a model or some new props I have one person on there I shoot regularly with which is always good.

I have blofeld form the forum coming up from bristol and a few friends as models props as well as a few horror props.

• ....... we split a model

ouch

wouldn't that hurt her?
    <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
  • Yeah, we've had quite a few meets on here, some organised, some just spur of the moment things <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) --> It's always good to meet up with people in person, rather than just on the forums <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->
  • All you lot are northern monkeys tho ain't ya?

Do you go round to share the cost of your coal <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->

• cant afford coal up here m8 .... we can only afford to keep warm by farting on each other <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
  • Coal???? Now you are talking posh <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
  • Ok I take it its more like the northern broke back mountain then

• Well Andy did have his back to the wall in Scarborough, at the weekend. And I was seen supporting a rather fetching handbag at one point too (ask Jayne to post the pic) <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
  • I wouldn't be askin people to post pics of me with a handbag

• Free is always better Gary but 50 quid for a shoot is good going and Brian never overcharges. I think when you start to charge nearly two hundred quid for effectively ONE night in a blackpool guesthouse in a back room, no meals and
    with a " compact" toilet...and my head is already seeing a camping bog with blue flush.. and effectively standing in a queue behind twelve other togs to take exactly the same photos-and in an exclusive location ( hope there are no international flights that day or its going to be very noisy and windy..might be an idea to tape the models dress down to avoid embarrassment <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) --> and have the "buy my vid and my old tat" shoved on you is a tad expensive. Outlay is minimal so its pure profit so why a minimum of 12 people is needed to make such a thing economically viable is beyond me....IIRC the organisers either LIVE in the place its happening or less than 20 miles from it so what is the outlay? Its plain and simply a high profit making scheme and to be honest, I have had seven shoots with Jayne now who never charged me a penny, fed and watered me, looked after me and picked me up and taught me 80% of what I know- for FREE!

I wish you all the best for four shoot and at Brian's because he isnt trying to bleed his customers and the price he charges is reasonable. 50 quid is great and great value. £200 isnt and soon when people realise what they are getting for that money, they will turn to people like Brian who gives the same service for a LOT less money.

as for Northerners....I'm proud to be adopted Yorkshire and of where I come from <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) --> even if some of the people that live up north give Northerners a bad name...
  • Can say big group days like that appeal to me and see where your coming from. But business is business at the end of the day and that is what it is.

I think the way you and Jayne have worked seems the best way. More on a friend basis which I prefer to work like

Me and pauljc are like that. We have good shoots and are always welcoming new faces we have learnt a lot from what we do. I wanted to go to Brian's to get more of a insight into studio lighting to bring it to my strobist stuff.

As for venues. There hasn't been a venue I could get for a shoot I have a cheeky attitude and can blag most places for free not a cost!

The only time we spend out money is on props so normally spend a tenner each which isn't bad.

As for bein northern my dad was Yorkshire born and bred even had a farm.

• who said anything about being northern???
    i aint northern

im a monkey <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->
  • Aye up Gary..your almost proper Northern then!

agree about business being business but when you have ten people booked and then say it needs 12 to be economically viable- kind of takes the piss out of those already booked in my opinion. I already pointed out that apart from the stunnning location which was probably blagged for nowt anyway, there seems no outlay to pay for unless you count a tenner for petrol to Blackpool...so this could have worked with just four people or six- which would have been better cos people would not have had to fight over each other to take photos.

Ive been to things like this and its a pain in the arse. What you get is people taking their time to take the shots( which is fair enough if your paying bloody 200 quid for the privilage) and ending up feeling the breath of their fellow togs standing behind impatiently for THEIR turn to take the same image. You then have the usual tog who takes the piss and spends fourteen hours to take a single shot then hogs the model for another two hours to take hundreds of photos and meanwhile everyone else wants a turn and time is a ticking. The other side of that coin is pure conveyerbelt togging where each tog has a fifteen minute slot to take their photos and if they cant get them...tough and they come away thinking...I paid two hundred quid to rush to take a few shots??? and in the end all the photos look the same, have the same poses, the same lighting etc.

in my view- as you've said you like to do, its good to do your own thing and learn yourself on a more one to one or less people basis. Its the reason I stopped going to the studio nights I used to go to cos I ended up learning nothing and cloning everyone elses work. I think your strobist interest will learn you the most and I bet youd learn more doing that than the blackpool shoot.
  • Passports get shown at Watford gap so anything past there is

• I think your right Kenny in that aspect I don't like waiting to shoot. Even on my strobing shoots with just two I want to be back in the saddle.

Have you seen my model mayhem page that has a few from my last shoot on there.

Here is my page if your interested.
    That whole shoot cost me 15 quid including petrol

Although I have tamed down my pp a bit these days

It true I learn more on that shoot and one before than I have in a long time.

Like I said I have a tog coming up from Bristol. I am puttin him up for night and not charging b&b prices although he is buying a take away

• Sorry forgot link
    <!-- m -->http://www.modelmayhem.com/2275558<!-- m -->

• I think your right Kenny in that aspect I don't like waiting to shoot. Even on my strobing shoots with just two I want to be back in the saddle.

Have you seen my model mayhem page that has a few from my last shoot on there.

Here is my page if your interested.
    That whole shoot cost me 15 quid including petrol

Although I have tamed down my pp a bit these days

It true I learn more on that shoot and one before than I have in a long time.

Like I said I have a tog coming up from Bristol. I am puttin him up for night and not charging b&b prices although he is buying a take away

will have a wee bimble to your model mayhem page forthwith Gary and add you as a contact. Are you on google+ or FB too..can add you on there too.

as for the Blackpook shoot....they arecharging them B&B rates AND making them buy a takeaway too....but they are generously allowing them to eat it in the hotel..Bless! <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->

.....though I hope its not a super assblaster curry as they will fill that compact toilet very quickly!
  • yeah Im on all of them under my forum name,

You can find links off my website for some of them.

I wont go too much into blackpool, but as you can see my name isnt on the list
  • Well if we have a weekend shoot it will be tents pitched on common ground (free), pee behind a bush, and spam butties for dinner. Then spam spam spam spam spam bacon eg chips and spam, with a side dressing of spam for tea lol

• dont forget gravy as well
  • Oh yeah, loads a gravy that you can stand ya spoon up in <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->
  • I know you northern types, Next will be mussy peas and battered bloody mars bars
  • Well if we have a weekend shoot it will be tents pitched on common ground (free), pee behind a bush, and spam butties for dinner. Then spam spam spam spam spam bacon eg chips and spam, with a side dressing of spam for tea lol

sod the tent Chris.....I'll be camping beside you guys in the motorhome LOL.