Author Topic: Scheduled maintenance 16/6/2011  (Read 1987 times)

June 12, 2011, 11:14:29 AM
On Thursday the 16th I will be closing the boards down for approximately 4 hours (late morning to mid afternoon). This is to have a major clean up of the forum coding, apply any updates as needed, optimise databases, add a few little extras I've been looking at, and to have a general clean up of the server and file system etc ;)

So this is just an early heads up, in case people wonder why they can't login to view forums. I could do it with the board live, but this would mean that some posts may vanish, at times you would see error pages, and could cause a few issue with the updates etc ;)

[hidden:2vzs1dib]Test[/hidden:2vzs1dib]
[mod="chris Hodgson":2vzs1dib]test2[/mod:2vzs1dib]
[offtopic:2vzs1dib]test 3[/offtopic:2vzs1dib]

June 12, 2011, 11:26:28 AM
Reply #1
  • Global Moderator
  • Insane tog
What are we supposed to do in that 4 hours Chris? :lol:
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

June 12, 2011, 11:34:04 AM
Reply #2
Quote from: "Bob"
What are we supposed to do in that 4 hours Chris? :lol:

+ 1

dont forget to check mobi works after :lol:

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
angel

\":lol:\"

June 12, 2011, 12:01:17 PM
Reply #3
I guess you will never let me live that one down Angel LMAO

You could make me a few coffees Bob, cos I will more than likely need it by the end of it all :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

June 12, 2011, 03:08:56 PM
Reply #4
Oh is this where you break the forum again?  :lol:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49334833@N04/
Mamiya 645afdii, 35mm N, 55-110mm N, 150mm N lenses. :)

June 12, 2011, 03:46:51 PM
Reply #5
Errrrm,  I like to call it "unexpected technical issues", rather than just "Breaking the forum" :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

June 16, 2011, 07:29:06 AM
Reply #6
Quote from: "chris Hodgson"
I guess you will never let me live that one down Angel LMAO

depends if you do it again :P

today is the day you redeem yourself :lol:

angel

June 16, 2011, 08:45:39 AM
Reply #7
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
I'm breaking it down in to a few separate updates now, so no need to close the board for a long period. Doing the code cleaning today, which "shouldn't" effect the forum at all :mrgreen:  If that goes to plan, I'll then updated a few of the modifications, which "shouldn't" effect the forum :mrgreen:
Then there is the BIG one, that I will need to close the board down for, but it shouldn't  be fore as long as expected. The change I will be making, will make the posting page buttons much more user friendly, and easier for people not used to using forums. To give you an idea, it will look something like this (but with our dark and light theme colours etc):
[attachment=0:ndjpj3vq]abbc.JPG[/attachment:ndjpj3vq]

It makes everything the same as a standard WYSIWYG editor, and also same as the likes of "MS Word" etc etc This change will not go on to the mobile theme though, as it would slow it down when loading the posting page ;)  I may leave the big change for another day, just so I can let the forum run for a few days with the other changes on. At least if there are any bugs then, I can sort them before putting the big one on, and breaking everything :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

June 16, 2011, 09:47:57 AM
Reply #8
yeah yeah whatever all that means  :D

June 16, 2011, 10:41:57 AM
Reply #9
  • Insane tog
    • www.facebook.com/kenny partington
    • Illusionaryarts
well done that geek lol.remind me to chat to you about sorting out a webbie for me when i get back too.good luck with the demon tweak lol

Please dont hold back.Im here to learn and to learn you have to listen to the mistakes you have made,so tell me!

June 16, 2011, 11:21:38 AM
Reply #10
:mrgreen: We know you understand geeky talk Jayne :lol:
Just backing everything up now, so I can get going with this cleaning job (Forum may slow down a little). Only thing that may go offline for a while is the "Gallery" pages, and forum may show as being in "Maintenance mode" while I run the gallery updates :mrgreen: If all goes well (which I doubt) I may get chance to add the new posting page layout. But I'm not holding my breath on that one ;)

June 16, 2011, 01:04:57 PM
Reply #11
Well, so far, so good (I hope) 95% coding cleaned up, and the gallery system is now updated to latest version. There is a known bug in the gallery system, where search results and  "my images", will not show thumbs, and images don't show when clicked. I know about this, an it will be fixed once I've finished cleaning up a few other bits n bobs :mrgreen:

June 16, 2011, 01:10:19 PM
Reply #12
nice one chris :D

angel

June 16, 2011, 05:13:28 PM
Reply #13
Right code is 100% cleaned up now, and all the updates applied. I've also fixed the coding on the gallery search/your photos, so that is now working as it should :mrgreen:
I'm going to leave switching the new posting page/editor thing for now, just so we can run a few days as is, to make sure we are completely bug free :mrgreen:

June 16, 2011, 06:20:14 PM
Reply #14
have a whisky or two, much deserved reward :)

angel

June 16, 2011, 06:53:20 PM
Reply #15
Only got coffee in the house LOL
Also fixed the "Gallery" button that shows up under people's avatars, and now working on making the gallery system work on mobile site too :mrgreen:

June 16, 2011, 07:07:03 PM
Reply #16
Also fixed the "Gallery" button that shows up under people's avatars, and now working on making the gallery system work on mobile site too :mrgreen:

wheres that then :)

angel

June 16, 2011, 07:43:15 PM
Reply #17
Quote from: "natalia"

Errrrr would it be the big yellow button next to the PM button - called gallery????  :P
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49334833@N04/
Mamiya 645afdii, 35mm N, 55-110mm N, 150mm N lenses. :)

June 16, 2011, 07:50:29 PM
Reply #18
Quote from: "carlb40"
Quote from: "natalia"

Errrrr would it be the big yellow button next to the PM button - called gallery????  :P

err, dont have a big yellow button, but i found the gallery :lol:

angel

June 16, 2011, 08:18:27 PM
Reply #19
Nowhere near finished with it Angel. It's there and working now, but the layout is all over the place. I just need to recode the pages, so it fits better on mobiles.
As soon as it's on, you will see a "Gallery" link at the top, where the UCP, Search and Members links are now ;)