Author Topic: Nikon P900  (Read 8585 times)

March 05, 2015, 05:16:42 PM
  • Insane tog
    • My Flickr photos
does that make any sense?

Nikon announced a new Coolpix camera, the P900

http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/product/digital-cameras/coolpix/super-zoom-share/coolpix-p900

with a
83x NIKKOR zoom lens – extendable to 166x Dynamic Fine Zoom¹ – covering from 24mm wide-angle to 2000mm telephoto (35 mm format equivalent).

Who needs that and who can use that? How can you aim at something you do not even see? And how heavy must a tripod be to support such a zoom?

I am clearly a technique fan but that is somehow ridiculous...  ::)

March 05, 2015, 05:47:16 PM
Reply #1
  • Global Moderator
  • Insane tog
What you can't see with the naked eye, Uwe, you could see through a 2000mm lens.   You would certainly need a decent tripod at the longest end but it does have 5 stops worth of VR.
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

March 05, 2015, 06:05:15 PM
Reply #2
Now that is some size zoom  ???

March 05, 2015, 06:52:47 PM
Reply #3
  • Insane tog
  • Bill
The same 1/2.3-in. sensor found in almost all point and shoot cameras, so even with that huge HUGE zoom, it will be the same old thing. Bad low light performance and soft looking photos at the long end compared to cameras with larger sensors. I don't see the point of going to 80 X zoom from 60 unless this thing works a LOT better then the P600 does.
CAMERA: Fuji S4800 unless stated otherwise

March 05, 2015, 08:57:42 PM
Reply #4
  • Super tog
It's marketing really, in my view.  They can now boast about having the biggest zoom which is all that matters to some people, in the same way that more megapixels is always deemed to be good. Interesting that this 'only' has 16mp but isn't that because of the large zoom ?