Author Topic: Lightpainted Car, 106 Frames into 37 layers...  (Read 433 times)

February 29, 2012, 10:33:56 AM
And this is the result...
[align=center:22qzn81y]
Light Painted Impreza by PaulJC's Photos, on Flickr[/align:22qzn81y]

How is it done? Quite simple really, Park your car where you want it, Set your camera up on a tripod, remote release, dont touch it till your done... Take shots using flash (All of this was shot using an SB700 and CLS, some bare, some through a softbox, showed up the shortcomings of CLS for me too)...

Then import all the photos into layers in PS and using layer masks and all your other PS gadgets pick the best bits you want to go in the final image... This is my FIRST ever try at something like this and my first ever big comp in PS, i've learnt a few things which will make life easier next time (like dont use CLS lol) and PP practice is never a bad thing :)
[align=center:22qzn81y][BBvideo 854,480:22qzn81y]http://youtu.be/r-ikEP7Eh-8[/BBvideo:22qzn81y][/align:22qzn81y]

February 29, 2012, 12:28:34 PM
Reply #1
  • Posting tog
Excellent result there Paul never tried it mate, dont mind using layers & stacks in PS but 106! I'm confused above 10!  love the little video too, damn you can move quick!  ;)

February 29, 2012, 01:09:20 PM
Reply #2
  • Insane tog
    • www.facebook.com/kenny partington
    • Illusionaryarts
Quote from: "Steve"
Excellent result there Paul never tried it mate, dont mind using layers & stacks in PS but 106! I'm confused above 10!  love the little video too, damn you can move quick!  ;)

remember on a previous post when I said I was visited by the boys in blue on a disused motorway services..well I was trying to do just what you have done- but with my Qashquiand after about an hour I had two police cars come into the service area with blues and tues flashing cos they had had reports of strange lights and flashes coming off the services. Lord knows how anyone had seen them cos the who area was blocked from general view by huge grass banks. They said that people had reported strange lights, flashes and red spots in the sky!!!  when I showed them what I was doing they were cool with it. The services, though disused, as they were knocking Bolton North services downt o make new ones, were still used for stopping on as the carpark was still usable. Ironically, a few weeks later I had this idea to light paint a red phonebox near charnock Richard in Chorley and was told about this particular phone box by a former friend of mine. So I went and light painted and yes...you guess it...flashing lights, large range rover pulls up and whould you believe it...same two coppers as a few weeks back. They had been told someone was trying to blow the phone box up with fireworks and had heard loud bangs. Which was bullshit....SB900 might bleep when its flashing but it dont make loud explosion noises. Again the cops were fine but they said to me in future if I wanted to do this light painting lark, that maybe it might be better in more remote locations.....
Please dont hold back.Im here to learn and to learn you have to listen to the mistakes you have made,so tell me!

February 29, 2012, 01:21:23 PM
Reply #3
  • Insane tog
    • Illusionaryarts
oops forgot to say great image and post production..and I too liked the little movie. Think its a great idea to document taking of an image if you can do it.
Please dont hold back.Im here to learn and to learn you have to listen to the mistakes you have made,so tell me!

February 29, 2012, 01:26:48 PM
Reply #4
Cool idea, and great result too :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

February 29, 2012, 01:40:28 PM
Reply #5
  • Insane tog
    • Illusionaryarts
Hope you dont mind...and no offence intended it it was your intended aim, but I noticed that the image had taken on a blue tint due to the light being reflected off that fantastic paintwork and I just corrected the blue colour cast a bit....

[attachment=0:1hffwbhq]6794610202_884071b2ba_b.jpg[/attachment:1hffwbhq]

February 29, 2012, 01:56:19 PM
Reply #6
Kenny, I have a feeling your monitor is a mile out m8. All that adjustment seems to have done, is brighten the image x 2, and blown all the highlights :?
I agree though, it does have a blueish tinge to the image ;)

February 29, 2012, 04:55:04 PM
Reply #7
  • Insane tog
    • Illusionaryarts
there was a really big blue tinge on my montitor Chris....think I seriously need someone with a top of the line calbrator to calibrate it for me.

March 01, 2012, 04:10:29 PM
Reply #8
Why does it need so much work in PS to get this result?

March 02, 2012, 03:21:36 PM
Reply #9
Quote from: "bandit"
Why does it need so much work in PS to get this result?

Care to elaborate a bit and i'll try to answer? The whole car / scene was lit with a single SB700 at night time...

March 03, 2012, 09:46:36 AM
Reply #10
Looks a bit bright on my monitor too Kenny, the wheels are well blown. There's a very slight magenta cast now as well, but that could be down to my monitor as it's not been calibrated for while - must do it.

D